At Pure Health Osteopath Clinic, Weston. Our Osteopaths specialise in back pain treatment and management. We have helped people in Weston Super Mare with back pain, by offering expert examination, treatment and advice. We want to get to the bottom of your back pain and help you lead a pain free life.
Who Gets Low Back Pain?
Back pain effects up to 80% of the population at some point in their lifetime. With peak occurrences of low back pain in those aged between 35-55.
What Causes Back Pain?
Due to the complex anatomy of the spine a number of structures can be responsible for the pain. These include;
- Tendons – Which attach muscle to bone.
- Ligaments – Which attach bone to bone and are important in the stability of all joints in the body.
- Vertebral discs – These are gel filled discs between each vertebrae in the spine. They allow our spine to move and absorb shock placed through the spine.
- The nerves exiting the spine – at every joint in between the vertebrae of our spine a nerve exits the spinal cord.
- The small ‘facet’ joints of the spine – these are small joints (about the size of a finger nail) between the vertebrae that help stabilise our spine and limit certain movements.
- The pain can sometimes be referred by other structures.
Whatever the cause, low back pain can be very debilitating, affecting even the simplest of tasks like putting on your socks!
How Serious is Back Pain?
This mainly depends on what is causing the pain. Often the pain is caused by a simple structure that can be treated and get you on the road to recovery.
If you feel unwell, unusually tired or have any unexplained weight-loss it is important that you consult your GP about your back pain as these can be signs of more serious conditions. If you are unsure, our Osteopaths are highly trained and capable of identifying more serious problems, Just call.
As Osteopaths we look at how the pain arose in the first place and work with you and your body to assist with the healing process.
We want to find the root cause of your back pain and treat it.
The treatment process starts with a case history. This is where we listen to you and find out all about your pain and medical history. We then examine your movement, and carry out necessary clinical tests and orthopedic tests to help identify what is causing the pain. This helps form a diagnosis and a treatment plan that works for you and your back pain.
Our treatments are allways tailored to you, everyone is different and have different preferences. Our treatments typically involve:
- Soft tissue techniques – to ease tight or sore muscles
- Mobilisation or manipulation – to restore movement to a restricted joint.
- Acupuncture – our Osteopaths are trained in medical acupuncture, which is thought to have an effect on neurological pain pathways, to decrease pain experienced.
- Kinesiology taping – to help support a tender area.
- Expert Advice – to help you self manage and spot early warning signs of of your back pain returning.
If you have any concerns about your back pain, or would like to find out more, please feel free to contact Pure Health Osteopath Clinic on 01934 752122.